We are now hiring Facilitator for Design Thinking Workshop
Duty Station: Cairo, Egypt
Type of contract: Individual Contract
Title: Facilitator for Design Thinking Workshop with Persons with Disabilities on Inclusive Employment
Languages required: Arabic and English
Description of the assignment: The facilitator will conduct a 3 day design thinking workshop with persons with disabilities (PwDs) on inclusive employment during the ITI’s Mobile Developer Weekend Ⅱensuring that prototypes of mobile applications will be developed upon its completion.
Duration of the assignment: 13-15 October 2015
Location of the assignment: Alexandria, Egypt
Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in Egypt are mostly excluded economically especially in private sector. Most of the PwDs lack the skills required by the labor market as well as the skills to start their own businesses. This could be attributed to the lack of appropriate education and inclusive trainings for them. These situations reflect social stigmas and a profound lack of awareness on disability affairs in the society, which inevitably results in a sense of alienation and exclusion of PwDs.
On the other hand, the government has been improving its capacity to ensure the rights of PwDs in the country. In celebration of the International Day of PwDs (3 December), the first Cairo Job Fair for PwDs was held on 11 December 2014 under the auspices of the Egyptian Prime Minister. At the fair, different supportive organizations as well as companies exhibited their works, activities, projects, initiatives, etc. with the aim of promoting the rights of PwDs, especially their rights to work. Also, surveys of hundreds of PwDs were executed during the fair by some of the governmental entities in order to enhance job opportunities for them.
We cannot underestimate these great efforts and yet, the concept of inclusiveness is still not well known even among people who have been supporting PwDs as well as PwDs themselves and it is often the case unfortunately that they only focus on/ target PwDs without the perspective of inclusion, which inherently ends up with victimizing PwDs and contributing to the existing exclusion/ segregation of them despite of their good intentions of supporting them and tackling difficulties facing them.
Recognizing these backgrounds, UNDP, Egypt ICT Trust Fund, and ILO, have launched a joint project in September 2014, titled “jobs and skills for persons with disabilities with a focus on ICT solutions”. It is a 18-month project which targets youth with visual and/or physical impairments aged 18-35 years. The project main purpose is to support private labor market inclusion of PwDs in the ICT and tourism sectors in 6 governorates (Cairo, Giza, Alexandria, Read Sea, PortSaid, and Minya) through ICT solutions.
As a part of this project activities, design thinking workshop will be organized in order to raise awareness on inclusive employment as well as create tech-oriented solutions for identified challenges of PwDs employment. In the design thinking workshop, based on its multi-stakeholders participatory approach, not only participants with technological backgrounds but also all diverse participants including PwDs will be viewed as “experts” contributing together to co-creation of feasible, effective, and sustainable solutions which assist inclusive employment.
The Second workshop will be held in partnership with Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
The two events MDW and the Second design thinking workshop) complement each other generating the following synergies.
- Encounter between the field of disability affairs and the field of mobile industry. People in the field of disability affairs sorely need assistive technologies which people in the field of mobile industry can take advantage of their expertise. Also, this indicates social business chances which people from the both fields will benefit from.
- Co-working opportunity for people with different backgrounds including mobile developers and potential users. This kind of co-working experience is an eye-opening learning experience for everyone and actually, in this way, they can co-develop user-centered, feasible, effective, and sustainable applications.
And here are 3 main objectives of the workshop.
1. Raise awareness on inclusive employment as well as capacities of PwDs to create solutions for challenges of inclusive employment.
2. Engage people concerned with different backgrounds in co-creation of solutions for inclusive employment.
3. Develop practical mobile applications for identified challenges of inclusive employment.
The workshop targets to bring together persons with visual and physical impairments as well as their family members; members of Disabled People’s Organizations (DPOs); public and private training providers; private companies (employers) in the ICT and tourism sectors; social entrepreneurs; students and experts in ICT and design; mobile developers; engineers, technologists; members of PwDs centers in public universities; members of the ministries concerned; policy makers.
2. SCOPE OF WORKS AND TASKS:
The facilitator will specifically undertake the following tasks:
- Provide strategic input and actionable recommendations for conducting the design-thinking workshop with PwDs on inclusive employment.
- Prepare and deliver a presentation on design thinking with PwDs including some specific examples.
- Involve in the selection process for participants.
- Conduct the workshop throughout 3 days ensuring that each team of the participants can develop a prototype upon its completion.
- Prepare a comprehensive final report upon completion of the workshop.
- A presentation on design thinking with PwDs including some specific examples. (Can be done by Gazbia.)
- Facilitation of a 3 day workshop.
- Comprehensive final report, including findings and recommendations.
4. TIME FRAME AND LOCATION:
13-15 October 2015/ Alexandria, Egypt.
- ICT Trust Fund/ UNDP will be responsible for providing the logistics and materials needed for the workshop.
- Minimum related Bachelor Degree
- Knowledge on workshop design, social innovation, social development.
- Knowledge on the latest mobile social applications.
- Knowledge on inclusive employment is an asset.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in facilitation in social development context.
- Experience in conducting design thinking workshop or any other kinds of workshop with PwDs.
- Fluent in written and spoken Arabic as well as English.
- Demonstrated expertise in facilitation of design thinking workshop.
- Strong communication and organizational skills as well as team work capabilities.
- Familiarity with disability affairs in Egypt.
- Familiarity with inclusive employment.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to disability affairs.
- An ability to complete the task in a timely fashion
7. SUBMISSION DATE:
Interested individuals are required to submit the following documents:
- Technical proposal explaining how you intend to manage this assignment as well as why you are the most suitable for this assignment.
- Financial proposal.
- Completed and signed P11 form (http://www.eg.undp.org/content/egypt/en/home/operations/jobs/) including experiences.
- Implementation Plan and Timelines.
Proposals may be submitted on or before Sunday, September 27, 2015 by 3 pm (Egypt time) via email to the address below:
Egypt ICT Trust Fund
For more information, kindly upload the TOR